Extending your residence permit

The provided residence permit might expire after a certain period. If this is the case, you must take action to renew this card.

If a single permit procedure is applicable, this procedure must be started at the very latest two months before the expiring date of your residence card. Please contact your supervisor to initiate the required procedures. Once a new single permit application is approved, you can contact the city hall directly to request a new ID card, by providing the approval documents of the single permit procedure.

Researchers on host agreement must request a new host agreement at the HR department to extend their residence permit. A proof of affiliation with a health insurance fund must be added to the documents when contacting the city hall.

PhD students must provide a new registration as student and sufficient means of income to extend their residence card.