Belgian Technical Cooperation scholarships

The Belgian Technical Cooperation agency (BTC) is the administrator and coordinator for scholarships awarded by the Belgian Directorate-General for Development Cooperation (DGDC). The BTC itself does not award grants. The BTC’s Scholarship Unit implements the scholarship files, welcomes the students and provides them with guidance for the duration of their academic training and stay in Belgium.
  • The scholarships are awarded primarily to finance third­ cycle (postgraduate) courses.
  • Besides a monthly living allowance, the scholarships also cover registration fees, travel expenses and insurances.
  • Usually, the stay in Belgium lasts for 1 or 2 academic years.
  • Mixed doctorate scholarships are mainly awarded to doctorate/PhD students. This type of scholarship covers a stay of a total of 16 months in Belgium, which the scholarship student must use for research purposes (16 months to be divided into 4 stays over a maximum duration of four years). Besides a monthly living allowance (which will be paid only for the periods of stay in Belgium), the mixed doctorate scholarship also covers registration fees, travel expenses and insurances.
  • The internship scholarships are usually awarded to experts working in the field of cooperation, and include an average stay in Belgium of 1 to 6 months. Besides a daily living allowance, the scholarship also covers course fees, travel expenses and insurances.
  • Study tours allow partners working in the cooperation field to discover a relevant Belgian branch of activity or public sector department.

Who can apply?

Candidates from one of the BTC partner countries can apply: Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, Burundi, Benin, D.R. Congo, Algeria, Morocco, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda and South-Africa.

How does it work?

The selection procedure is carried out in the respective BTC partner countries, not at the BTC offices in Brussels. Candidates interested in a scholarship should send their application form directly to the Attaché for Development Cooperation or to the Embassy of Belgium in the partner country. Only these authorities can deliver the necessary application forms.

More information